No matter how light or severe the symptoms may be, all you want is to take refuge with those home remedies that could serve your purpose. Most of the home remedies include ingredients that are used for cooking from our kitchen and garden. These home remedies can work wonders for some symptoms and in no time, you see them diminishing. This all depends on what remedy is used in what ways. So in this blog, we will see several home remedies for piles and fissures.
5 home remedies to treat piles and fissures:
- Some general oils:
- Olive oil: Olive oil is a natural healer and moisturizer. It helps in controlling swelling and inflammation. Olive oil is known to have loads of mono-saturated fats that provide lubrication to your bowel area and bowel system. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and lubricating agent that helps in passing the stool without pain and burns. You can make a mixture of olive oil, beeswax and honey and apply it over the affected area. People who have used this mixture as a natural remedy have reported reduced itching, bleeding in anal fissures and piles. You can mix these three things and then heat it till beeswax melts. Then apply it over the affected area once the temperature is bearable. Try this remedy regularly for a couple of weeks and you shall see a very positive change in pain and symptoms.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil has medium-chain triglycerides which can easily seep into the skin and hence can keep your affected area lubricated. Applying coconut oil several times a day can help in healing the anal fissures and piles.
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds are natural laxatives. Consuming flax seeds will make you pass your stool easily and prevent you from straining. Flax seeds are loaded with fiber and omega 3 fatty acids that prevent constipation. You can mix one tablespoon of flax seeds in one glass of water and consume this solution before going to bed. This will regulate your bowel movements.
- Fiber-rich meal: We already know that fiber-rich foods encourage easy bowel movements. Hence, if you are suffering from fissures or piles, intaking high fiber foods make your stool softer which will help it pass easily. This way the lining of your anus will not hurt and symptoms will not aggravate as fissures are mainly caused by straining over the toilet seat. Several fibrous foods that you can include in your diet are as follows:
- Whole grains
- Leafy vegetables
- Peas and beans
- Citrus food
- Bell peppers
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera has miraculous healing properties. It can repair damaged skin tissues by its pain-relieving and cooling properties. A study published in the European Review for Medical and Pharmacological sciences states that topical creams containing Aloe Vera juice can effectively cure chronic anal fissures and piles. You can slit the aloe Vera leaf from between and then scoop out the gel. Thereafter, you can apply this gel directly to the affected area a few times a day for best results.
- Ice pack: You can always go for this. Putting an ice pack in the inflamed area for 15 minutes several times a day will provide instant relief from pain and burning as it will numb the swollen nerves and ease the pain.
Lifestyle: Several lifestyle changes that could help you to curb the symptoms and treat fissures and piles are as follows:
- Check on weight: You should keep a proper check on your weight to avoid extra pressure on the constricting veins and blood vessels surrounding anus and colon.
- Exercising and staying active: Regular exercises will help keep the blood flowing and help relax any strained muscles in the lower part of the body.
- Meditating/Deep breathing exercises: Some deep exhaling and inhaling breathing exercises in particular leaning positions will relieve muscle tension in the lower part and will improve overall blood flow.
- Staying hydrated: Drinking plenty of water helps to regulate digestion as well as a bowel movement. Drinking more water will help you to pass softer stool preventing constipation and fissures.
Medication: There are several OTC medications that could help you with pain, itchiness and discomfort are as follows:
- Corticosteroids: These ease up the inflammation and burning in the affected area.
- Laxatives: These provide bulk to stool and softens the hard stool which prevents constipation and further trouble.
- Nitro-glycerine ointments: These ointments help you relax the muscles in the anal region regulating the proper blood flow into the affected area.
These were some of the good to go home remedies, some essential lifestyle improvisations and some basic medications that could help you to treat piles and fissures. These remedies have helped many people to get relief from both the anorectal problems. However, if fissures and piles persist and do not root out, the doctor may suggest surgery. And need not to worry, if you’ve never been under the knife or fear the old school surgery that involves cutting tissues and wounds, you can opt for laser surgery which is least invasive and quick. But firstly, consult a general physician and imbibe these habits and awareness to treat fissure and piles on your own at the budding stage itself.